Marie-Christine Escoda-Risto, the Chair of our Events Committee has set our summer dates of events:
ANNUAL PICNIC IN THE PARK will held on Sunday, May 10, 2018 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Shoreham Downs Park off of Wissing Lane. This year we will be adding a few more things for our children to enjoy. There will be a bounce house because the kids liked that so much last year. We will also have a clown (if we can find one), some special treats and some arts and crafts for the kids to try their hands at.
The picnic is free to all residents (and their families). This year we will again cook Bratwurst, Hotdogs and Hamburgers on the grill near the main pavilion. All the fixin’s will be there including ketsup, mustard, mayonnaise, relish, onions, tomatoes and pickles. We will have chips,potato salad and pasta salad, soft drinks and water for adults, water and juice for the kids, and snow cones for all! The food is free. All you need to bring is a healthy appetite and if you want to help us out – a dessert would be welcome by all. This year we will award a Grand Ribbon for the best dessert, a Blue Ribbon and a Red Ribbon. Who is the best dessert maker in the village?
And, THAT IS NOT ALL. We will have our first of three CONCERTS IN THE PARK from 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. The concerts this year are too cool and will be announced as we get closer to the summer. Stay tuned. What do you need for the Concerts? A blanket or chairs to sit on. That’s it. Anything else is whatever you want to bring.
The FOLLOWING FRIDAY AND SATURDAY will be our SECOND ANNUAL VILLAGE GARAGE SALE. It went so well last year that we have brought it back. The garage sale is in addition to the two sales that each household is allowed to have during the year. The cost is $15.00 for advertisement and all houses will need to be ready to sell their items from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. on both days. That is the way to start our season. Starting March 1, 2018, event participation slips may be picked up from the Village Hall on Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Participants may pay by check, cash or credit cards.
MORE NEWS TO COME ON OTHER ACTIVITIES
We have several members of our community who are part of an events committee for the village. These members work hard to provide you with an opportunity to meet other residents and become involved with fun activities for you and your family. Those members are:
Cindy and John Allen
Ann and Jeff St. Amand
Stephanie and Bob Clarke
Marie-Christine Escoda-Risto (Chair)
Krystin and Matt Hanley
Debra and Bruno Trapikas
Ever wonder why we have an Events Committee?
1. To have fun — no excuses or reasons are needed to celebrate.
2. To provide an opportunity to know your neighhbors and where they live.
3. To establish friendships.
4. To increase that sense of belonging to a community.
5. To learn a little about each other and know who might need a little extra help from time to time.
6. To meet neighbors that might be able to help you with a gardening problem, or lend you that needed ingredient for a recipe.
7. To encourage neighbors to look after the neighborhood.
8. To help with safety/crime prevention by knowing who lives where and who does not.
9. To increase security by knowing each other’s schedules.
10. To develop an opportunity to meet some of the old time neighbors and learn about your community history.